Thursday, May 04, 2006

Ahhhh...Tempra


Sophie on an evening walk with forsythia

For those of you who have been checking out Sophie's Slumber you may have noticed that her sleep has been somewhat disrupted these days. Her little pearly whites are trying desperately to push their way through her sweet unsuspecting flesh. I never thought of acquiring teeth as barbaric, but it is. Why aren't we born with our teeth I have been asking multiple times a day?? I'm sure there is a good answer for that question, but I'm not interested in answers, I'm only interested in making my girl feel better.
Drool city--Rubbing things desperately across her gums, refusing to feed, crying and downright yelling--all new things that seem to be escalating. I'd like to talk to people who say there is no such thing as teething. I have a LOT to say to them. I have been scouring my books, but unfortunately there isn't a whole lot to be done. Except tempra.
Last night before bed she was exceptionally upset, and so we tried some of this said tempra. I really don't like medicating. I don't like to take pills myself, and I don't plan on being one of those parents who medicates as a first resort. But last night we decided to go for it. Sophie seemed to quite enjoy her 'white grape' flavoured treat. Let's start that sweet tooth right now. After 6 months of a sole breastfeeding diet, it must be nice to vary it up a tad.
Long story short, she slept straight through until 4am-fed for 10 mins and then slept until 7:45am. Dream. My question is--does tempra knock babes out? Or did her teeth not bother her so she could get a good sleep? Or a bit of column A a bit of column B?
Before having a baby I heard of parents giving tempra every night during teething and I 'boffed' (my new word!) at them and how they could do that to their baby. Answer- if your baby is so uncomfortable and in pain then a parent will do what it takes to get it to stop. The further I get into this parenting place the less judgement I can pass to anyone. It is humbling.
My mom had some wise words that she lives incredibly well "Take it one day at a time". And that's just what I plan on doing. And last night I think we all appreciated a good night sleep.

No comments: