Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Sweet Home

We're home! And we had a marvellous adventure! Sophie was a superstar, and she impressed me so much with her flexibility and spirit.

We stayed at my mom for the five days, and it was a dream. My mom bent over backwards to make the visit as easy for us as possible. Not only did she not mind that within 10 minutes of arriving her house looked like a 30-child daycare, but she loved it. She spoiled me, gave me advice and parenting support, loved Sophie up- we had a wonderful visit. My mom is having surgery next week, and she has been a shining example of courage, strength and bravery. I think Sophie got her Lionheart from my mom.

Camping Trip (pictures soon!!)
With Sophie's sleeping stuff, I decided that we would do two day-trips on the camping trip, and sleep at my mom's to keep some sort of consistency. It was a wonderful trip of firsts--- Sophie's 7 month cousin counterpart Lucy was also tripping, and that was a treat. They both had their first canoe ride (the girls weren't crazy about the lifejackets)---Lucy even fell asleep in the canoe!! They had their first lake swim, hammock ride, hike in the woods, and tenting experience. G brought a screened in tent, which was a great idea, and the girls had fun naked time on mountains of thermarests and sleeping bags.

On my hike in to meet the others on day two, it was just Sophie and I, and I loved having her against me in her carrier alone in the woods. I imagined what native women felt like, with their babies also against them, trekking through the forest as a way of life. Sophie was silent as she listened to the birds chirp, and watched the sun dappling through the trees. It was a really special moment.

Brett was very happy to see us come home yesterday, and gobbled Sophie up the moment he saw her. As always, home- a.k.a. Brett- is always a sight for sore eyes.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

That's awesome. It sounds like you had a nice relaxing time. That's one of those times you'll always remember with Sophie. She may not remember but she'll think she does when you can tell her the story and show her the pics over and over.

Anonymous said...

Hi My Good Good Girl! I love you! It was trauma to not see you this week, Bear, but I'm back to my normal and formidable self. I miss you and love you!! Smooch smooch!!! Squeeze squeeze to my girls who I love and their cuckhold boy! xxx k