We're back from our adventure in my hometown. It was a wonderful 4 days filled with family, laughter and fun. My mom is home from the hospital after her surgery, so we got to have three nice visits with her. She is doing really well--lots of colour in her cheeks, walking much better now and downright perky despite all she's edured.
The highlights included swimming with Soph and all my neices and nephew's in my sister's pool, visiting with lots of family, eating way too much yummy food, great long talks in the evenings, and two fun nights of gaming with my family--playing my favourite new game Apples to Apples.
The lowlight was the $170 speeding ticket that we got on the way home. Brett was going 115kms on the highway (with a 100 speed limit) but hadn't gone off of cruise control when we went into a construction zone. Because it was a construction zone, we should receive an automatic court visit, yes you heard me, court!! Gasp! As well as a $500 ticket!! GASP! As well as SIX demerit points!! YOWZAA! He also said that because we had so much stuff piled up in the hatch of our car, we could be charged with another $100 of obstructed view! KA-POW!! (Travelling with kids, what can I say?? I wanted to demand a waver for that one because of the kid factor. Anyone with kids will admit that it is impossible not to pack a TON of stuff when travelling. True confessions--this trip I actually thought I'd pared down--I refrained from mentioning that to monsieur coppy-cop and kept my mouth zipped) .
Luckily, Mr. Friendly Police Officer decided only to charge us for 10kms over, dropping the fine to $60, no court, no points (phew!) but still charging us with the obstructed view (100 bucks)
I had never been pulled over by the police before, and it was quite an enjoyable experience overall. He was a very friendly neighbourhood cop, and I almost felt warm inside after our encounter. We're busy smiling and saying gracious thank-yous to until we drove away and I realized---a) we're still out 170 smackers that we do not have to waste, and b) my previously happily sleeping baby is NOW AWAKE!! ARRRGGG!! I now had to drive the last hour of the trip being the monkey-in the backseat baby entertainer (quite a difficult job I might add!)
Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm glad you had Mr. Friendly policeman. I always drive just a little faster when the girls are sleeping hoping to make it home before they wake up. I also have spent many an hour entertaining them in the back of the van while Jay drives. Not that fun I know. :o) Glad you had a nice visit though!
Post a Comment