Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Day One and Still Standin'

I've got to be very quick and quiet, cause I've got a babe sleeping in my room where I type...
Made it through today somehow, someway.
It started off pretty rough...no sleep (Soph up 4x then up for day at 5am), still nauseous from flu, HIGHLY emotional. Cried my way to school on the streetcar (thank goodness for shades!)
Lots of support from my friends at school, and really great to see them.
Fantastic group of kids in my class---couldn't be walking into a better situation.
Made the big mistake of calling on my break, and hearing Sophie saying Mama repeatedly in the background...more tears a flowin'.
Brett met me for lunch---GREAT to see my peeps. Lots of hugs. Brett has been incredibly supportive of me right now. He's been absolutely amazing.
Met with my principal to tell her I'm wanting to apply for next year off. She was totally supportive!!! She understood that my heart is at home right now, and I'm so thankful for that. I felt so much better after that...feels way way better to know this is only for a short short time. Actually enjoyed the rest of the day (I did used to adore my job after all).
Got home EXAUSTED. But thrilled to see my girl.
Soph has been sleeping really horribly since we got home. Slept like a charm in Montreal and Cuba----why so badly at home??? ARRGG. She is also starting to get a cold, which terrifies me in advance.....respitory stuff...doctors, medication, wheezing.....me not being there. Yowza--not going there right now. No vacancy for any more anxiety right now.
So all in all, the day was okay. Am emotionally wiped. On social overload (I'm not used to being around all those people anymore). On empty. And yet I'm kind of revved up too.
When I asked Brett whether his day was harder or easier than he expected, he said 'harder'!. He said it was so hard to get anything done without the other person to pass the baby to!! It felt very validating to hear that...because some days I felt silly to have hardly accomplished anything but fed and changed Soph.
Today felt a bit like that I Love Lucy episode where Ricky and Lucy trade jobs and both have crazy days. When I look at today I can't help but laugh. Stomach flu, no sleep, crying my face off...I don't know why, but I find it funny. I think I'm in that giddy exausted place. I'm now taking this giddy behind to bed!
Signing out with one day down, 56 to go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Karen. You can do it! And how special for Brett to have this time with Sophie. I know Shawn's finding it challenging at times to care for Lia all day, but he's really glad to have the chance. I'll be thinking of you all this week!

Colleen said...

I hope day 2 was a little easier. Glad to hear you made it through. I know how attached we get to these little people. Hey, join up to facebook, there are lots of camp people on it. It's fun to catch up with them all.