Sunday, November 25, 2007

Wonderful News

We had the most wonderful news on Friday. Sophie's allergist called with the results of her blood test. When I got home from school Brett told me her message was saved, but didn't say anything else. I immediately had a huge knot in my stomach.

Her message:

Sophie's dairy allergy came back NEGATIVE.
Sophie's egg allergy came back barely positive.
All the five nuts she tested came back NEGATIVE.

I couldn't believe it. I just sat there with tears running down my face. It was better than I had even let myself hope for. I am still pinching myself.

So, on her recommendations, next week we are taking a glass of milk to her office, and we will be giving it to Sophie there (just to be cautious). She said we could go ahead with starting to introduce nuts, as well as fish. We will continue to avoid egg for the next year just to make sure that it's entirely gone.

I feel like the clouds are parting. Last winter it felt like we had one health challenge after another. Although in the grand scheme of things they were a drop in the bucket compared to what many face, they were struggles for us nonetheless. This test result feels like the tide is changing. And Sophie has had her second cold with no wheezing or respiratory problems. Again, still pinching myself. And feeling so incredibly grateful for all that we have.

So in a couple weeks time I think a family trip to the Dairy Queen will be in order. For Sophie's first ice cream cone.

2 comments:

AlisonG said...

Hooray! I'm so pleased for Sophie and all of you!

Colleen said...

That's awesome news!!! So happy for you. Enjoy the Dairy Queen trip.