Sunday, August 31, 2008

Teeth Time



Well, it appears that Clara's teeth are getting very very close to making their entry into the world. On the bottom her front teeth are just bursting. You can actually make out the outline of the teeth through her gums. They look sore. And she is sucking on everything. And last night she had a really rough time sleeping. We did the Tylenol thing during the night and that helped a bit...but tonight we're stepping it up a notch and doing advil--8 hours baby.


I know that many doctor's discredit that teething even occurs--but those doctors must not be parents. Because any parent knows that they aren't going just making it up, it is legitimate!! The drooling, fussiness, night wakings, chewing, etc.


I wish that I could go in Clara's mouth and help bring them through myself. There are so many things like this in parenting--that we want to take on ourselves so that our child doesn't have to endure. Things that hurt them that we wish we could burden for them. It begins with first teeth, and the 'things' only get bigger and bigger. I feel so thankful that I haven't had to watch my children endure difficult experiences that are beyond the normal realm of childhood. Teeth, flu, skinned knees, etc. Many of the parents of the kids I teach have to witness and endure huge, incredible challenges from the get go. It seems so unfair.
So I will be thankful for the two little teeth that are slowly trying to budge into the world. That will help my sweetheart taste many wonderful things (and I'm sure things she may consider not so wonderful--like broccoli) And while I can't take this discomfort from her, I suppose all I can do is sit with her, hold her tiny precious hand, help her be as comfortable as possible, and give her all the love I've got.
(Clara enjoys sucking the juice and rubbing her gums on my apple :)

No comments: