Sunday, November 01, 2009

Hallowe'en :)














What a great Halloween. The girls were definitely old enough to 'get it'. Sophie tore from house to house with her friend and neighbour Ben and didn't complain once of tired feet (or should I say paws). Clara walked behind saying 'me me' (aka, don't forget about me), and would slowly climb up each set of stairs and dig right into the candy (I don't even think she knows what's inside those lovely wrappers!).



Earlier in the afternoon we had our second annual Halloween parade for our two streets. There were probably 30 kids there, and it had definitely grown from last year. Cousin Bodhi was added to the group this year, as an adorable centipede. It was so great to have him there. Once again, Sophie wasn't a big fan of the parade. I think she gets overwhelmed with all the people in costumes and gets overwhelmed, grumpy, and very quiet. When we got home and reminded her of the candy to come, the storm cloud lifted extremely quickly!


Grandpa and Kookum offered to give out candy for us, so both Brett and I could trick or treat. That was a real treat for us (thanks G and K). We came back to the house with WAY too much candy. We're going to need a gradual 'candy disappearing' act (and hopefully NOT disappearing into ME) Last night we all sampled some treats when we came home (some of us more than others....I figure you have to eat a LOT of those little chocolate bars before you amount to anything substantial!) and then hit the hay.


And that was that. Today is November 1st. Fall back. Today everyone is cheering wildy for an extra hour of sleep...EXCEPT people with young children. We started our day at 4:50 this morning. Psychologically, that's not a good time to start the day. But this year I'm changing my attitude. Thinking of it as an extra hour of playtime with my kids, instead of sleep. Now that I'm working again this time is more precious than ever.


I've heard lots of tips about helping kids adjust to the time change, such bedtimes 15mins each night for two weeks before, etc. Well, I have a new strategy. Don't change the clock in your bedrooms for a few days. This year I changed all the clocks except our bedroom ones. So at least I didn't have to SEE the 4 until I came downstairs. One day I will get that extra hour of sleep again, and then I'm sure when that day comes I'll miss having little girls in one piece pajamas throw their arms around my neck with a good morning smile and kiss.

1 comment:

Mary-Kate said...

C-U-T-E