Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Resolutions

September always feels like a new year for me. The chance to revisit lost or forgotten by the roadside goals. Perhaps it's because I'm a teacher, so going back to school is a new beginning. This year, I'm not going back to school (yay!!), but it still feels like a transition---from the exciting and non-routine summer of houseguests, vacations, etc. into the routine and structure of the school year.

I've been feeling a tad down the past couple of days. First of all, I was supposed to have a night out with a friend on Sunday night that couldn't happen, and for some reason it really bummed me out. I think that because I never go out, I had been so excited about it all weekend that it's been hard to shake it. I'm also realizing that my mood is incredibly linked with Sophie's. For some reason the past two days putting Sophie down for naps and bedtimes has been an incredible ordeal. She has been screaming and crying like she was on day one of sleep hell. I have tried picking her back up, and she will fall asleep in my arms, then I put her back in her crib and she goes bananas again. I can't figure out why this is happening. Anyway, I'm sick of thinking about sleep, and trying to guess all the friggin' options ---teething, routine changes, blah blah blah....I know it's all about phases and this will pass as quickly as it began. more blah blah blah. Okay, this is turning into an Eyore grumpy post and that was not my intent....To move to the positive.

Anyway, sometimes feeling down is important because it makes me evaluate and 'take stock' of my world and what needs to change.

Here are my fall resolutions---

EXERCISE!!! Was such a big and important part of my life pre-baby and now it is virtually non-existent. Going from only riding my bike everywhere, to only driving our car is only one small example. Today Brett and I visited a gym really close to our house, and he is encouraging me to get a month membership. I haven't totally decided, because of the money. Anyway, I absolutely love and miss the gym so much, so this thought is incredibly exciting to me. If we decide to go that route it will definitely be different, and involve more planning, but it will be wonderful. Until then I signed out some videos from the library that I am going to check out while Sophie is sleeping (When I finish this I am going to try Tae-Bo for 40 and over....hee hee the selection was quite small!!!!)

ALONE TIME!! When I say alone time, I don't mean 'alone', but with friends and off the baby clock. I need to make an effort to see friends without the baby. And doing things that aren't baby friendly activities--like going to a movie, shopping, going for tea, biking, etc.

NEIGHBOURHOOD STUFF!! Drop-ins, stroller walks, etc. I am going to sign up for a music class at the library for babies. I am also going to sign Sophie up for swimming lessons at the nearby neighbourhood pool. There are three amazing drop-ins nearby which would introduce me to mom's in the hood. I also could be walking to all of these things and not taking the car. It's always the first time that's hard, and then you realize that it's not that big a deal at all.

I find it such a difficult balance, because when Brett is home I really want the three of us to be together as a family. It will be really hard for me to leave the two of them to go out with friends or to the gym. But even 1/2 hour of fresh air, fresh mind and fresh body can make a really big difference. And that will make me a better mom, wife, etc. when I am at home.

Ahhh, I feel better alright. Who needs therapy when you can blog!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, re. walking more to drop-ins etc. Just think, fall is around the corner, I always think that is a beautiful time to be out walking. You and Sophie can enjoy the changing of the leaves, maybe sit outside at a cafe and enjoy the crisp air. I am hoping that the leaves may have begun to change by the end of Sep when I will be home briefly. Best of luck with all your resolutions :-).