Friday, September 15, 2006

Ewwwwwwwww!!

Once again, it is time for a true confessions blog post. Why do I write these posts I wonder? Why do I feel the need to record disturbing experiences so that it is archived for Sophie and family forever more? Maybe Sophie will read this one day as a mom (if she chooses to be a mom that is!!) and feel equally creeped out, as well as given permission to make mistakes. Or maybe I'm just a drama queen going for the sensational.

After having such a wonderful morning at the Beach earlier in the week, we decided to attempt to recreate that blissful day again this morning. All was well. (enter violin music) We began with a special treat from Starbucks, then strolled along the boardwalk with our sweetheart, and then layed out her blankie for a play before heading home. (enter screaching halt). Enter Ewwwwwwww-ness.

As per usual Sophie scooted over to the end of the blanket and was pulling at the grass. I sat fully watching her while Brett and I were having an indepth conversation about empathy (yes, I could disect emotions all day long! My mom's a social worker...it was bred in me!! Brett was merely humouring me I'm sure). I look at her hands and realize the grass is coming off on her fingers. Then I have the shocking realization... it's not grass on her fingers!! It's dog poo!!!

Looking at your sweet pure baby with dog poo on her hands is enough to make you want to be sick. Brett quickly ran to the stroller to our wipes container, and you guessed it...EMPTY!! Of course. Luckily I saw a yuppified stroller heading our direction that I explained our situation to, and gave us two wipes to clean her hands. Then we found a bathroom as well and washed them again. Then we came home and washed them again. She's fast asleep now, but you can be sure that I'll be washing them another time when she wakes up. This is how obsessive compulsive handwashing must begin. Yucky.

Okay, make me feel better. Anyone have an equally disturbing story to share??

1 comment:

Melody said...

Not equally disturbing, but ironic that it happened the day I read your post. Isabelle has been using the toilet seat as a drum (she stands up and bangs on the closed lid). Well, this morning someone didn't flush during the night and also left the lid up, so she was in the bathroom tooling around and I reached her just as she was splashing one hand about in the pee. YUCK. She thought it was very funny. I too did a lot of washing of the hands.