Friday, November 10, 2006

Dr. Allergist

This morning we met with the allergist about Sophie's potential dairy/egg allergy. After hearing our experiences, she agreed that it is most likely that Sophie has a dairy/egg allergy.
We also learned that Soph has extremely sensitive skin, and so doing traditional skin tests would not be accurate (she rubbed Sophie's back with a broken tongue depressor and it became instantly red and swollen).
The doctor was excellent. She was really sweet, personable, and had no agenda. She suggested having a blood test to determine the severity of the allergy. We questioned her about the importance of it, and after she gave us all the information, we agreed.
She gave us lots of literature, and a prescription for an epipen.
Then came the blood test. The nurse was very sweet, and another nurse came in to hold Sophie's arm still. She sat on my lap for the procedure, and it was pretty yuck. They had to wrap a band around her arm, which Sophie did not enjoy, and then they couldn't find a vein in the first place they 'stuck' her. So they had to move to her hand, which is a more painful location. It felt like it lasted forever, and Sophie was so so very sad. I just sang in her ear, and felt so much like I was betraying her trust. I know it's for the best, but she doesn't know that. After it was over I nursed Sophie in the office to try and calm her down, and I couldn't help but start crying. (twice in one week). Since having Sophie I truly understand the expression "wear your heart on your sleeve". The nurse said goodbye to us, and Sophie stopped nursing, looked up, smiled and waved at the nurse. She was over it all before we were!
Brett and I still feel quite tender about the whole thing. The doctor gave us lots of information to read, including 50 + different ways to list 'dairy' and 'eggs' on ingredient listings. I'm trying not to get overwhelmed, and just take it a day at a time. I have decided not to read the info today--it can wait until tomorrow.

No comments: