Wednesday, November 15, 2006

New Friend in the Hood!

Sophie and I have new neighbourhood friends! They are our backdoor neighbours. They have an almost 6 month old little boy. I bumped into them on the street when their baby was 6 days old (on their very first walk!) and I thought 'hmmmmm....potential new friends?". I knew that they would be busy getting their 'parent legs' on so I let things go for awhile. But I would often walk past their house and hope that they were playing outside!!

Anyway, last week I was coming home from a walk with Sophie and I saw someone with a snuggly coming up towards our house. It's a rare sight in our neighbourhood, so I was curious. It turns out it was this same mom, coming to our house to see about setting up a play-date! I invited them in (our house was in a bit of a state, but hey, might as well see the truth from day one!) and we played for a bit. She was really nice, and her son is so cute. She invited us for coffee the following week (I have a really weird reaction to coffee, but I didn't mention that!!)

When we went to her house and it felt like a blind date! I think we were both a little bit nervous, cause let's face it, this is a virtual stranger! It turns out that both she and her huband went to the same university as we did! In the same year!! Small world. Anyway, I think that she is great, and even though we were a bit nervous, I feel like we have lots in common (outside of mommyland)

Yesterday I called her and asked her if she and her son wanted to go swimming at the baby pool by our house. We went and it was so much more comfortable this time--it felt much easier and we were able to joke around. The kids had a blast in the water. Soph was splashing and squealing up a storm. I think that we're going to try and do it more frequently.

All I can say is that meeting mommy friends is just like the next phase of dating. At the playground or a drop-in centre you 'scope' the room for potential friends who look like you might have things in common. Then you have to try to get your nerve up to try and 'ask them out' for tea or a play-date, and see if it clicks!

Tomorrow on our street there is a couple having a holiday sale of crafts and cooking, and so my new friend and I are going to try and arrange to go together. New friend??? Je pense que oui!

PS---if we do become good friends, then in the summer all we need to do is go through the gate for the kids to play in each other's backyards! (I guess that's the equivalent of imagining your wedding in the dating world!)

No comments: