Thursday, November 16, 2006

Silver Spoons

The past two days have been wonderful. Brett and I sat down and figured out a new feeding schedule for the girl that involved much more frequent feedings. This seems to be working really well for Soph, and she's eating much more. I realize that she is and has been interested in food, but she just doesn't eat a lot at one time. When I said to my sister once "Sophie doesn't eat" she stopped me and said "Words have power. Be careful. Sophie does eat. She eats exactly what she needs." I have thought of that so much since that moment, and it is very true.
Anyway, yesterday a REALLY EXCITING THING HAPPENED!! Sophie discovered self spoon-feeding!! You may recall that she really dislikes being fed anything, especially anything that requires a spoon- and that has resulted in many 'dog and pony' shows to distract her into eating. Well--yesterday she grabbed her spoon from my hand and started feeding me and then herself. She kept doing it over and over again. It was so exciting. This morning with her oatmeal she was doing the same thing (I also hold the spoon for stability). She can't get it in her mouth fast enough!! She was even hollering if it we were going too slowly.
At this point I have learned that nothing in parenting is consistent except inconsistency--perhaps this is a phase that will only last for a few meals or days, but I am enjoying every minute of it!!

No comments: