Monday, January 15, 2007

Full House

My house has been full for the weekend. Full of laughter. Full of babies. Full of family. Full of good food. I LOVE IT!! I absolutely love having people stay with us. I suppose it supports my desire for communal living (which I am slowly getting with Bean next door and Paul upstairs!). It feels so right to have the house full of people.
When I was young my Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop always had people coming to visit and their line was "We love company". My Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop would repeat it like their mantra "Well, you know we love company". I remember asking them if they found it tiring always having people in their house, and they always answered quickly and surely--'No', they loved company.
Now I understand. Especially with Sophie, where getting out can be tricky, I love having people in our space. It just feels right.
On Saturday we had G, Aunt Tatey and Uncle Dan--wonderful. Later in the evening a friend of Bean's came with her 6 month old Justin (REALLY cute) to stay here for a couple of days (Bean's house is full). It has been so wonderful. Having another baby in the house for Soph to play with, having another momma to talk-baby with, having Bean and her Aunt come over with a cup of coffee and their pjs. I love it.
Lucky for us, we have another week of 'full house'. My brother-in-law Chris is coming for the night tonight. My old housemate from school is coming tomorrow night and then Wednesday my dear dear friend Shirley (who will have an entire post devoted to her) is coming for awhile (for as long as I can convince her to stay!).
***I guess I should add a bit of an addendum. The only thorn of the full house is my stress about Sophie crying at night. The guest room is right over Sophie's room and let's just say "not soundproof". So as evening approaches with a guest I feel anxiety levels increase a tad, about how Sophie will do. When/If she does cry in the night I definitely feel much more stressed about it, and worry that she is keeping our guests up. But I always warn people before they come, leave ear plugs on their pillows (instead of mints) and apologize in advance. C'est la vie avec un bebe!

P.S. Bean's friend Emily lives in the same city where Brett will be performing and we will be living in March--so now I have met a friend for when we're there :) She's a whole lot of fun, her son is cuter than cute, and she's a really amazing mom.

No comments: