Thursday, May 03, 2007

Delving into Alternative Medicine

We have made a really big decision. Soph has appointment to go see a naturopath. On my camping weekend two weeks ago, there were two women with young kids that have asthma and have had great success with alternative therapies. Since then it has been in my head---that I feel we need to explore some other options. I really hate giving Sophie her puffer four puffs a day. That amount of steroid is yuck.
Since the weekend I have been researching different therapies and connections we may have in the city. After much thought, we have made an appointment at a naturopath teaching clinic (cheaper). We know the student that will be treating Sophie, and she works in conjunction with an amazing ND.
So, we shall see. At worst, we will be flushing our money down the toilet (no coverage of course). But, as I said to Brett, it is still money well spent. I want to know that I have explored all the options to making Sophie as healthy as possible.
So, we have an appointment on the Friday of the long weekend.
Here goes.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Karen, I think you're doing a good thing by going to the naturopath. I read recently but can't remember where of a family that started using natural cleaning products in their home and that was enough to rid their child of asthma. I'm praying that you will find answers for Soph. What a great mom you are!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. G, Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I feel that we have to try this route and see where it leads us. Thanks for the hope.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bear,
When John was little we didn't HAVE naturopath routes to take...but by 'guess and by golly' we did the same thing, in our household. We KNEW it had to be something that he was eating...and the air he was breathing. We just experimented 'til we found the right combinations....which DID eventually take him off ALL meds...pretty much forever!!
You GO GIRL!!!!
Lou
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hey Kare, I've had some good experiences with NAET, an alternative acupuncture treatment for allergies, if you ever want to chat about that. I've been lucky in that acupuncture is covered under our medical insurance, 'cause I know the cost can be daunting. I hope you find something that works for Sophie!

Melody said...

Remember Jack's success story?? ....Shaklee alfalfa. No meds for 2 years and doing GREAT!! You are doing a great job.

SC said...

Mel- I didn't remember that about Jack--WONDERFUL!! I'm going to mention that at our appointment.

Ali-- again, such hopeful information! Thank you for that. I have to admit, it would be a challenge for me to watch Soph getting acupuncture, but if it worked, I would be willing to do it..YIKES!