Wednesday, May 02, 2007
The Ups and Downs
It's been tricky finding time to post lately. Between working, trying to squeeze in as much time as possible with my girl, my new addiction to Facebook, and sleep deprivation, it's been a long time!
So now, before bed, I thought I would quickly summarize the ups and downs of the past week.
Ups- Sophie is now walking! Yay! (I'm resisting the urge to say FINALLY) Today Brett counted 19 steps across the toy room and back! She still resorts to crawling when she's really in a hurry for something, but more and more she's on her feet. She walks very steadily, rarely falls, and is very thoughtful and careful with each step. It's really sweet.
Downs- We've had some rough nights. I think Sophie is getting her second incisor. Two nights ago we all got up for the day at 4:15am. It was a ROUGH day. Thank goodness for caffeine, that's all I have to say. When Brett came upstairs at 6:30am he found me feeding Sophie a bottle in tears. It's hard to be so out of control of a basic life function. That's all I can say.
Ups--Thankfully last night was MUCH better.
Downs- Sophie took a nasty 'header' at the playground today with Dada. I think that he was way more upset about it than she was.
Ups- We're spending lots of time outside. The above picture is of a hippo walker that a friend lent us, and that Sophie is spending lots of time walking up and down the block with. Hearing her call her hippo 'HIPPO' is pretty darn priceless. The weather and sun is so therapeutic. Walking outside without having to wrestle with a snowsuit and boots is enough to make anybody's day.
Downs- saying goodbye to my beauty each morning.
Ups- Sophie has been coming into school a LOT!! Every Friday she comes to the school and goes swimming with my class. So much fun. Tomorrow we are going to a farm on a field trip, and Sophie is coming too. Yesterday Brett surprised me (after the rough night!) and brought Sophie in to take me out for lunch. Sushi...yum! Having her at school makes my whole day.
Up & Down- I think that I'm weaning Sophie. I haven't really been enjoying breastfeeding the past little bit. For the past few months I've only been nursing her once a day, first thing in the morning. Maybe because I have less milk, or maybe because she's getting bigger and stronger, but it's becoming a bit uncomfortable nursing her. I can't really explain it, other than saying it's 'uncomfortable'. I'm feeling sad about it, but I think it's time. The past three mornings I haven't nursed her, and it hasn't even been an issue. This morning she asked for it 'yaya' (don't ask me where that came from) and then immediately said 'baba' over and over (her word for bottle). I feel a bit weepy when I think about it, but 18 months was a good run for the two of us. The only thing I feel sad about is because this decision just kind of 'happened' I can't remember the last time I nursed her. Probably because it was in very wee hours of the morning (well, 5am FEELS like the wee hours).
We're turning a new leaf and entering a new chapter, and with that comes mixed emotions. The excitement of watching my toddler discover the world, and also letting go of what feels like the last phase of having a little baby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I totally know what stage you're in right now. That point where they seem like they are all grown up all of a sudden. It's a big time of change, there is so much more to come but she's leaving the baby stage. You could do like I did when Lauren was growing up... I got pregnant with #2. he he.. All the best of luck with the naturopath too. It's worth a try to see if they can help.
Post a Comment