Saturday, December 15, 2007

35.5 Weeks!

I can't believe how time is marching forward. The baby's due date is one month away. By this time with Sophie I had just been put on bed rest (to try and make it to 37 weeks so the midwives could deliver Sophie).

We had a wonderful appointment with our 2nd midwife this week. It felt exciting, and positive and talking about the 'final' details! She has been a midwife since the 70s, has 6 children (and grandchildren) of her own. You just get a sense this woman has seen it all. And yet you can tell so clearly how much she loves her job. It emanates from her.

I don't think I ever updated, but the results of my three part glucose test came back. The first test was great. Second, great, and the third was 0.1 over the limit. I couldn't believe it. If I had been any lower I would have been fine. Almost laughable. It means that while I don't have diabetes, my sugar processing is on the high end of normal. On Tuesday I am going for an appointment at a gestational diabetes clinic to talk about diet. My midwife said that this is optional for me, because I don't fit in the category, but I thought that I would at least go and hear what they have to say. I have also cut out all sweets (not an easy task this time of year!).....well, almost all (hee hee).

At our last appointment when our midwife measured me my uterus measured 36 cms at 33 weeks (3 cms bigger than the average!). I kind of did an internal freak out (how big is this baby?!! YOWZAA). This week when I was measured I still measured 36 (normal!) Phew!

Other than that all is gearing up for the big day. We have washed almost everything, and have almost everything ready (even those cute little diapers). We still have some things to do, like install the car seat, but that will all come. We have even started packing our hospital bag--are we really going to have a baby???!!!! Seriously???

I am feeling really great. This time last pregnancy I was having what felt like consistent, constant Braxton-Hicks contractions. (In retrospect it was probably her positioning). I was so uncomfortable and absolutely exhausted. This time I am having normal BH contractions that come and go! What a difference compared to having them all the time. So I feel light years better.

I am also getting really excited about the birth. About meeting our new little family member. It still seems surreal, even though it is getting so close. I get butterflies in my stomach when I think about it. And the actual labour--I am excited about that too (weird I know!). All of my anxiety is dissipating, and is being replaced with positive and good feelings about the labour and delivery. What will be, will be. And I'm just going to enjoy whatever happens as much as I can.

We are still hoping for a VBAC, but whatever happens will be fine. I have done a LOT of reading on VBACs and I feel really good about our decision to try this route. And the baby will let us know the way that s/he needs to come out. Babies have a way of telling people loud and clear what they need--even before they are born.

5 more days of work for me. Then home again with two little people. It feels like so long ago that I was sitting here with tears streaming down my face writing a post about leaving Sophie and going back to work.

The next chapter is soon beginning for our family. It's exciting that we don't know when, how, or where this will happen. The only thing I know for certain is that we will be jumping in, holding hands, together.

No comments: