Thursday, January 31, 2008

Week 2


Week 2 was definitely an interesting one with some highs and lows. We started the week off well--with Sophie adjusting so incredibly well to being a big sister. She has nothing but love for her little nugget of a sister. She is so incredibly maternal and affectionate with Clara. It is so wonderful to see. She gets an incredible look on her face every time she holds Clara. I've never seen it on her at any other time. It is a protective and proud expression. So strange to see your baby turn into a big girl right in front of your eyes.
Sophie is definitely in a transitional time. While she doesn't take it out on Clara, she has a shorter fuse, she seems more emotional, and she is testing much more. She has already learned that when mama is breastfeeding Sophie can try to a) jump on the couch, b) play the piano at obscenely early hours and c) do other monkey-ish things.
Clara is a picture perfect baby. She sleeps lots. When she is awake she is content, and she hardly cries. We are so thankful. She is doing well at night, and is usually only awake once. We had a midwife appointment this week and she was oohing and aahing over Clara's demeaner, her beautiful hair and her healthy complexion. She weighed her and she said that she could be gaining a little more (she weighed in at 9'8"), so we are waking her every 3 hours during the day. She is peeing and pooing lots, so I'm not worried at all.
Now for the big downer of the week. We all got the stomach flu. Well, all but Clara--THANK HEAVENS. A friend with a vomiting baby came over and 48 hours later Soph got it. Then Brett. Then me. Breastfeeding a 2 week old with a barf bowl has not been the highlight of my parenting career. I'm so thankful that we're all better now. Let's leave it at that--but let's just say it was not so fun.
We are slowly adjusting to being a family of four. Slowly learning how to leave the house. Slowly adjusting to the crazy hormones in my body. Slowly learning how to time breastfeeding so that I can have some quality time with Sophie. Slowly learning how to be a parent to two kids--with as little guilt as possible. Still have lots to learn.

5 comments:

Colleen said...

Isn't it crazy how your first born turns into a giant big girl overnight when you see her with the new baby! I remember the same thing happening with mine. Sounds like things are adjusting nicely... other than the yucky flu. Glad you're all feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Colleen--
Thanks for your note--at some moments I feel like we are indeed adjusting nicely--at others it seems like utter chaos that will never end!!

:) k

Colleen said...

Well.... I'm still waiting for the chaos to end... but don't worry... it will get A LOT better soon. With being sick I'm sure it's been a rough start. If you got through that you'll be fine. My girls were very excited when they saw that your baby came out of your belly... Lauren was extra excited because Clara in her Barbie Nutcracker movie is her favorite princess.

meghan said...

hey you - you are a rockstar - two kids, breastfeeding and the stomach flu - wow.

I don't know what to say except I can't wait to meet that wee nugget. I'm hoping to be home in May - and I'd love to meet her!!!

Missing you all!
xo

meghan said...

Honey - I have a card for you but I can't remember whether you are on H street NOW or whether that's where you moved from - help!!!!!

xo