Wednesday, February 27, 2008

6 Weeks and Counting





Back again--blogging has proved to be quite difficult these days. It seems that I am kidless very rarely, and have time to sit at the computer even more rarely.

The past few weeks have had a few hiccups along the way. I'm going to do the highs and lows of the past three weeks (what I can remember from the milky blur)

1) Clara has continued to be extremely cute. To have a full head of hair. To be sweet as can be.

2) I travelled solo home to my sister's for five days. The trip was uneventful, with two sleeping girls the entire time. I think I exhausted my sister out, as she was a HUGE help to me when I was 'sans Dada' for five days. We had a great time introducing Clara to her grandma, two great-grandma's, three cousins, 3 uncles and 2 aunts!! An important trip to be sure.

3) My incision is not healing properly (I had to have another section...the cord was wrapped around Clara's shoulders). Last week I went to three different doctors. Finally the doctor who delivered Clara saw me, and started putting silver nitrate on it to help it heal. I'm hoping hoping hoping it works. The alternative isn't too appealing.

4) I had mastitis. Not fun. Last week. A fever of 102 for two days and very sore to feed. Now I'm on antibiotics and back on my game. Back on my feet.

5) We can't find our digital camera. ARRGGG!!! I think it's SOMEWHERE in our house, but I have looked everywhere. I'm really hoping we don't have to buy another one.

6) Sophie has had a bit of a rough few days. She wasn't feeling well. Not eating or sleeping well and pretty cranky at moments. I think that the idea of 'Clara' is also starting to sink in. At times she will say "no pick up baby Clara' or "baby Clara in her chair". We are trying to figure out if her big crying, kicking on the floor 'episodes' are a result of a) not feeling well b) being two or c) adjusting to her new sister. Maybe more likely a combo of all three.

7) We are moving back home to our families!! Brett got a job there starting May first, and we are going to be starting to househunt next week!! Big changes, but very exciting for sure.

8) Clara has started to smile. Last week I saw the first really big one (Feb 15th) and since then we've had more. It makes her seem more human, less like a cute little monkey pet.

9) I've started to be on my own. Brett has been working on and off during the day, which has been a great way to gradually get used to being home alone with the two munchkins. There are totally chaotic moments, where I think that I can't possibly do this for another minute, and then there are heavenly, picture perfect moments too (usually preceeding the chaos!!). It feels good to do this, and get back into some kind of a routine.

10) We've been busy with lots of playmates. We have three little friends on our street that we've been spending time with, as well as driving to my friend Alix's house for plays too. The winter makes outside time tricky ( I can't WAIT for spring!!!!), so lots of playdates helps with cabin fever (mostly mine).

11) Baby acne. Our poor sweet girl has had some complexion 'issues'. It doesn't affect her cuteness one bit. Now that I think of it, maybe Clara was the one that hid the camera.

12) Sleeping Beauty. Clara has been doing great at night. I usually feed her for the last time and she's down at 10pm, and then she often doesn't wake until 4 or 5am for a 10 minute feed then back to sleep till 7 or 8. It has made these bumps along the way much more manageable.

13) Green Poo-- what post of mine would be complete without a mention of bowel movements. Clara has had LOTS of green poos. Our midwife suggested that she might be getting too much fore milk, not enough hind milk. I've been worried about it, and trying to lengthen her feeds (she only feeds for 10-15 minutes) but it's really difficult. I feel like she gets tired or something. Her weight last week at the midwife was 10 pounds 10 ounces (at 5 weeks), so she is gaining weight. It's hard for me not too worry too much. I am comforted by the fact that she is peeing and pooing lots, she is not fussy, and is sleeping well at night.
Last week was rough. The mastitis took it out of me, as well as my belly not healing. I had some really challenging moments where I didn't know if I could do this two kid thing. If I was up for it. Amazing how perspective goes when you feel crummy. 24 hours later and some strong antibiotics and the world is a different place. A MUCH better one.

So here we are, onward and forward. I will TRY to post more often, I promise.

This one's for you Uncle Al!!

4 comments:

meghan said...

YAY!! A post! Pictures of your girls! and YAY for BRETT!!!!!!!!!!

Please congratulate him on his job! He'll be amazing at it if it's the job you told us about. Looking SO forward to visiting you in K-ton!!!!

AlisonG said...

I love how you slipped that move to Kingston casually amongst the news about your two darlings :-)

Clara is charming. And I love the photo of Sophie breastfeeding her dolly! Will be sending you good healing thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.

Colleen said...

Hi Karen!
Really cute little monkeys you've got there. I totally feel for you with adjusting to 2 girls. I remember Lauren was an angel until Lainey came along... it's tough at first but it will get better... until Clara starts wanting Soph's toys... then watch out again... he he.. Hope you're feeling better soon... Congrats on the moving plans and new job! That's great! Should be a great year for you guys!

Neyir said...

Karen, thanks so much for posting I have been keeping my eye on your blog eager to hear how you are getting on. Clara is gorgeous as of course if Sophie, what a fab duo - though I can only imagine how much energy it must take having two! Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, so very sorry to hear your incision is not healing as well as it might. I had an infection after my C and it was very frustrating, it must be challenging for you and Sophie (are you ok picking her up and things?). Great news about your move, bet you will get much more house for your money after T! :-).