Friday, January 23, 2009

Sophie Skates!

This has been an exciting step for Soph--she has been skating!!

1) Step One: It all started out with bobskates handed down from her cousins. The first skate happened before Christmas and Soph was timid, but really happy to skate if we were very close by. After one round on the ice my back felt as if it was going to pop right out of my body!!

2) Step Two: The next skate I realized that Soph didn't have a helmut. I walked over to a department store a block away from the rink and bought the smallest one they had. This time Soph was a little less timid, but my back was still pretty unimpressed.
Step 3: Wonder G suggested that we buy a skating support and I thought it was a brilliant idea!! The above picture was the first time using it, and immediately she just took off. She wouldn't even let me near her or touch her--she wanted to skate "all by myself". It was also her first time at an indoor rink, so without the chilly weather and snow on the ice she could boogie at quite a clip. She was rockin and rolling!



This last skate took place back at the outdoor rink, which happened to be a VERY VERY chilly day!! We didn't last for long!! It was snowing softly, which was beautiful, but also made it harder for Sophie to skate.
Our sweet Clara was bundled in hundreds of layers, and as she usually is when in her snowsuit, was very very quiet. She didn't look too thrilled, but patiently stayed in her bundle--as if she was too cold to even use her little voice. It will be so nice when they are both able to be on the ice.


Tomorrow we are going to be skating on a local pond with some of our neighbours!! It's finally open and I am so excited. I will be able to push Clara in the stroller on the ice, and she won't have to be watching from the sidelines. It's pretty warm here today, so I'm hoping that it is still open tomorrow. :)
On a very happy note, my sister just came and picked up my two girlies for the afternoon and dinner!!! I am going to a) clean my dirty dog house, get groceries (because let me tell you, the cupboards are getting pretty bare, and then pick up my hotty of a husband and go for a quick dinner before picking up the girls!!

No comments: