Well, what a week it's been.
One audition, one interview, one essay, one surgery, two pieces of fabulous, incredibly wonderful news.
Here is the (very tired...therefore quick) run-down of the week.
Last Wednesday I had to re-audition for the choir I sing in. They re-audition every year, and it's really a formality, but it was still is a weensy bit nerve-wracking. All went well, and it's over (the main thing!)
On Monday I had an interview with the school board. Unfortunately it's only for the supply list, but a job is a job. It was really tricky to prepare for, because I have been so specialized for the past 10 years, that my generalized knowledge is really rusty and out of date. I spent the past week on the Ministry website and talking to many teacher friends of mine about potential questions, and the potential answers to those questions. The interview went so-so--certainly wasn't stellar. But again, it's over. I'll find out in the next couple of weeks either way.
The essay. Well, this is a little bit silly, but I'll add it anyway. In the winter I submitted my name to be a torchbearer in the Olympic relay for the Vancouver Olympics coming up. And I was selected! The final step was to write a 220 word essay about how I inspire myself and/or others to live an environmentally friendly life. A writer I most definitely am not, and I couldn't seem to get a good idea (they mark 50% for content and 50% for creativity). I finally got an idea and wrote it rather quickly. I'll hear back mid-July if I got selected.
But Tuesday was the big day. My mom's thyroid surgery. I hadn't written about it on the blog, but a month ago my mom was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. The prognosis was very good. She had the slowest growing kind, and if it hadn't spread, then they could remove the thyroid and case closed. No radiation, no chemo needed. But the if still seemed really big and scary.
Mom was amazing. She handled the surgery incredibly well. She is so strong. She can teach me so much. Brett was wonderful and I spent the entire day at the hospital the day of the surgery. It helped me to be able to be close to her, especially after being far away for so many of the other procedures she has had to endure.
We finally found out last night the results of the surgery. She is all clear. Cancer free. It was contained in her thyroid. It was definitely one of the best moments of my life thus far. A friend of mine wrote to me that relief is one of the most wonderful human emotions. How true indeed.
Needless to say we are all flying high with the great news. And tomorrow they are hoping to send her home. So she can get back to her house, her own bed, and get back to living the long life ahead of her! Yahoo!
My family have been breathing huge sighs of relief. The exhale after holding our breath since the diagnosis. With thankful hearts.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So happy for you and your family. I know how special your Mom is to you. Also good luck with all of the interview/ audition results. I would love to have you teach my kids! If they don't choose you they'd be crazy!
Post a Comment