We were having a lovely start to the day. The girls and I were all geared up in our sunhats and sunscreen and were heading to our friend's house for a neighbourhood meeting about our upcoming community garden. The girls were both in the wagon when I heard a loud and unusual thud/crack. I turned around and was absolutely horrified to see Clara face first on the pavement.
The silence before her scream seemed endless, but then it came. She wailed. And wailed. The sound of her head hitting the ground keeps haunting me over and over and over again. The poor thing landed on her face.
We went back to the house and I got some ice--she has a nasty scratch/ bump on her cheek and her forehead. I'm worried about a concussion, but I have been monitoring her closely. She seems totally unscathed by the whole thing, but I'm certainly not.
Putting a 1 1/2 year old in a wagon without straps? What was I thinking? (or NOT thinking). There is nothing worse than feeling responsible for your child's pain and suffering. Every time I look at her sweet swollen face I feel sick to my stomach.
I try so hard to keep our kids safe and healthy but I dropped the ball on this one.
Saturday, June 06, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I totally know how you feel. Don't beat yourself up over the fall. I was right beside Lainey when she fell down the stairs a couple years ago and my heart jumped right out of my chest I was so freaked out. She was fine... I took a few weeks to recover.
Also tonight my little sweetie got her first goose egg on her forehead. This time from getting knocked over when playing with her big sis. Not fun at all... I'm the same way.. checking it lots and making sure she's alright. So you're not alone at all...hang in there!
Post a Comment