You would NOT believe the heck of a time I am having trying to find a babysitter for Saturday night. It's almost laughable.
From the time we arrived here I knew that I would need a babysitter for opening night, so I asked Brett to spread the word to the locals he was working with to see if any of them had a child or a reliable friend of a friend that could babysit. Nothing. I asked him to just double check--I found that hard to believe. Anyone who has kids are generally coming to opening night. Those who don't don't really know babysitters.
So I then wrote an email to all my friend's that either live in the area, or have parents that live in the area to see if any of them knew anyone. Nothing.
Then I asked certain close friends in Toronto if they were free and I could drive them to T.O. for the night. All had conflicts.
I texted a family friend and babysitter from Kingston to ask if I could pay for her ticket to come up for the night. She was so excited and was all over the idea, but she couldn't book it off and was scheduled to work.
I then went on the local kijij1 site looking for sitters. At this point this was Wed. There was only one person listed (I couldn't believe it!) and she was busy.
I then went to our hotel front desk and point blank asked the woman behind the counter if she could babysit. Now this was getting definitely into unchartered territory. Asking a total stranger if she could babysit. Who knew I would ever do that?? She is on call to work. (She said she is going to ask her friend though.....crazy)
I'm starting to run out of ideas. Tomorrow morning I think I might quietly check out some mom's at the beach and ask them if they would feel comfortable giving their babysitters my number.
It feels so yucky to do this, and obviously if we do get to the point of finding someone who is actually free (getting unliklier!!) that I don't feel good about I just won't leave them. I definitely do see the humour in all of this. It's like some weird/bad comedy that keeps getting weirder and weirder. Maybe tomorrow I'll rent a blimp and hang the kids from harnesses with a sign saying "Anyone wanna babysit these cuties???" Or now that I think about it, maybe I'll just hang them from the blimp on Saturday night, then they won't even NEED a babysitter! Brilliant!!!!
Thursday, August 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You could try Joanna. I don't know what she's doing for the weekend.
I hope you find someone to babysit. I'm out of town up near London tomorrow or I would have tried to think of something to help. Hmmm, maybe look for adds in the local paper or posted at grocery stores or yellow pages. You could always pack lots and lots of lollypops and sneak them into the back of the theatre! he he.. Good luck!
Post a Comment