At the present time Sophie has major trouble any time I do anything musical. If I am making dinner and humming in the kitchen, my little singing police girl stops me in my shorts "Mommy, don't sing!!" (in a VERY unfriendly voice). We then have a discussion about how we can't control other people's bodies, that I am in charge of my body and she is in charge of hers yadda yadda yadda. So then I usually continue to hum or sing my tune but I have to sing over top of someone screaming at me to stop. We then deal with the situation if it escalates (aka time outs, room breaks etc). The bottom line is that it really makes me not want to sing!! Even though on the principle of the matter I want to keep singing (and I do), it really takes all the joy out of it to be yelled at.
We started to have Sunday night music nights and it just was no fun for anyone so we have temporarily put them on hold until this 'phase passes'. There's no point in playing and singing kids songs the whole time your kid is turning bright shades of red. Nobody has any fun.
If I play the piano, same thing. Guitar too (even if it's kids music! I can usually convince her to get into it with kids stuff after awhile).
But yet if I sing to her before bed, it's okay, and in church it's okay too (maybe because everyone else is doing it??)
This is kind of ironic, because music is a very big part of my life. I have been involved with music as long as I can remember. I have a music degree for Pete's sake.
Last year it was challenging because I have joined a choir, and I have to practise the music ahead of time. I have to do it with a very loud preschooler (well only preschool for another week. sniff sniff) beside me.
When I was a ringer for my old orchestra last Feb same thing--playing with a loud bag pipe of a kid accompanying me.
This too shall pass, I know. Who knows, maybe all of this will lead her to a career as an opera singer.
Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I know I shouldn't be laughing, but that cracks me up. If it helps at all, my kids would kill to have you and your guitar around any time of the day or night.
My girls cringe when I try to sing too... that's too bad though, I know how musical you guys are.
Has Sophie started school yet? We don't start here till the 8th. Lainey has her first day on the 11th. I hope all goes well. Don't be ashamed of those happy tears. :o) I'll have lots of them too.
Post a Comment