Thursday, October 01, 2009

Rose and Thorn

At my camp we had a quick and easy way to check in with people at the end of the day. We would go around the circle and people could share their rose (something positive from the day) and their thorn (something that was upsetting/challenging). Here's mine for the day.

Thorn: Soph had a very rough night. Her breathing was really not great. She couldn't get comfortable or sleep much at all, and it was getting worse as the night progressed. This morning I took her in. They gave her a nebulizer (sp), some steroids for the next four days and we came home with a much happier girl. She had a long nap when we got home, and then ate for the first time when she got up. I had just been saying that we always end up with a hospital visit in September, but the good news is that this year Soph made it until October. By the hair on her chinny-chin-chin. Baby steps.

Rose: While Sophie was napping Clara and I had some really nice play time. She was running back and forth across the kitchen, and we were playing hide and seek, laughing and tickling. When I caught her at one point I gave her a big hug and told her I loved her. She said it back! For the first time. I immediately got very teary (two nights of no sleep make me very emotional!!) and I said it again. She started laughing and said it again. It made a pretty crummy day suddenly pretty lovely. There is always so much to be thankful for, even on the not so fun days.

1 comment:

rheanne said...

In all of the amazing moments of parenting, the first "I love yous" from my children top my list. Can't believe how fast time is flying and that Clara is already at that stage and Sophie is in school! Missing all of you. Big hugs, kisses and "I love yous" all around.