Monday, October 19, 2009

Workin' Girl

Well, they took me at half time! So as of tomorrow morning I have a sort of job! Sort of, in that it's a maternity leave until the end of the year, not permanent. But, hey, it's a foot in the old door :)

I had totally not anticipated this. I guess in this regard I am a very glass 'half-empty' and just assumed they would want to go with someone else full-time. All weekend Brett was telling me that he thought they would still be interested, but I had totally written it off in my head.

They want me for mornings, which is a bit to get my head around, because afternoons would have suited our family a bit better. But it's a job, in my field, NO MORE 6AM STOMACH ACHES about going to random places, a consistent job at a nearby school (I can even bike there if I am bundled up!) working with sweet kindergarten kids.

The receptionist is the nicest person EVER and we have a connection with her (our good friend Mike's mom is her best friend) and she made me feel so welcome. The principal seems really nice as well. She said the school is the 'best kept secret in this board' a 'jewel'. That's always nice to hear.

This afternoon I am going to a staff meeting to be introduced to the staff. Talk about diving in. And I start tomorrow morning.

I have wonderful worry-free childcare lined up. Mary-Kate is going to be here with the kiddos, and Clara will be thrilled to have mornings with cousin Bodhi (one of her favourite people on the planet).

There is a chance that once I start I will have the flexibility to switch to full days (2 days one week 3 days the next) so that's pretty exciting too. I think that would be an even better fit with our family right now. So we will see. I anticipate some challenges in the next days ahead as we all make the transition. But we'll get there. One day at a time.

1 comment:

Melody said...

I just re-checked your blog...and here is the other half of the story! Congratulations. You are an out-of-this-world teacher and they're lucky to have you.