Friday, March 10, 2006

Bach Baby

Last night Sophie came to my orchestra rehearsal. It was the second one she (and I) have attended, and it was much better than the previous week. Last week Sophie had ended up crying quite a lot and Brett was walking her up and down the hallway. We decided that he would come get me before things got to that stage, or I wouldn't enjoy playing. I talked to the conductor last night and he was really understanding if I had to pop up in the middle of a piece (which made me feel so much better).

Sophie really enjoyed the music. We were playing a Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto and then an arrangement of a Bach Fugue. She was so relaxed and mellow. It was really incredible. In the Bach piece Sophie started looking really sleepy on Brett (I was watching her more than the conductor!) and then Brett gave me a hand signal that she was falling asleep! Sophie has hardly ever fallen asleep without being nursed, so this was huge. Because all of last year and this fall she had heard the rehearsals in utero, I wonder if that's why it relaxed her. Interesting for sure.

I am flying high from playing last night. After last week I had been tempted not to go back again. I don't want my enjoyment to mean her upset. I am so glad that I persevered. It was a great night.

1 comment:

meghan said...

Have a wonderful time with the 'fam! I am SO happy you started this - I LOVE checking in with you every day. It's going to be a good record for her and also for you, but it makes my day to get updates!! LOVE LOVE LOVE xo