Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Tooting my own Horn

I got into the orchestra again this year!! I just found out, and it's a nice lift after a sick day with our sweet pea. And the exciting news is that I got a new position--this year I have been bumped up to the associate principal--which means that I'll get to play all first parts.

Last year I hardly played. The first concert was two days after my due date, and I actually went into labour the night of a rehearsal (10 days early). I went to the concert two weeks later, but with a little girl, and sat in the audience. I decided to start playing again for the final spring concert, and Brett would bring Sophie to rehearsal each week (as she wasn't on a nursing schedule). Sophie got to hear lots of great classical music. It was somewhat stressful for me, as I definitely had a split focus, but it was still so nice to be playing again. That concert I decided to only play one short piece.
So last week, at the first open rehearsal, I had no strings attached (no pun intended!). Brett put Sophie down, I had no worries there, and I just played my little heart out! We played Brahm's Symphony #4, and I got to play the awesome clarinet solo in the second movement. It felt so good! An evening out now is a whole different experience. Something that I look forward to, and enjoyed every minute! Afterwards I had a snack and chat with the two other clarinets and I felt downright giddy--(I don't get out much!). So tomorrow night is the first rehearsal and they will be handing out music for the first concert! I'm so happy :)

2 comments:

Melody said...

Congratulations, Bear! This is a very big deal. You're an amazing musician. Wait until Sophie tells her friends about this when she's in high school band (did you know my mom was associate principal in an orchestra?) I only wish I could be there at one of your concerts. Maybe you can play a couple lines for us over the phone or camera.

meghan said...

CONGRATULATIONS sweetie!!!!!!!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOOXOXOXO