Thursday, November 30, 2006

Hospital-Round Two


Well, last night we ended up back at the hospital. We were on somewhat of a high coming home. Sophie had a 2 1/2 hour nap, and then when she woke up I felt like she was wheezing. I panicked. I didn't know what to do. Brett had left for a job for a couple of hours, so I didn't have the car. I ended up phoning the hospital, talked to our nurse, and they said they would try to contact our pediatrician at home. When they couldn't contact her, they asked if we could come in and the on-site pediatrician would have a listen to her. I internally freaked out. The thought of going back was terrifying. I was so scared that they were going to admit us again. I didn't have a way to get there. I called Aunt Tatey and Uncle Dan and Dan answered, understood through my sobs and tears that we needed them and he answered "I'm leaving the house in two minutes".
By the time they arrived I had calmed down. I actually thought ahead this time and had a diaper bag ready (last time we went to the hospital I had nothing...I mean nothing). Luckily we had an extra car seat we had borrowed (lesson---we're buying another used spare carseat just for 'in cases' like these).
We arrived at the hospital and saw two of our old nurses. Soph was nothing but smiles, waves and giggles. They oohed and aahed over her. I felt immediately calmer and like everything was going to be okay.
Long story short--a nurse, a resident, a med. student AND the on-site pediatrician all listened to her and didn't hear any wheezing. I think that what I probably heard was just the congestion in her chest. After having a great time with all the hospital staff, we joked that we might keep bringing Sophie back just so she can get lots of attention. They were so thrilled to see her looking so healthy and so happy.
We came home again....feeling even more tender, and even more exausted...but relieved.
Today is a new day. Both Brett and I are quite 'off' today, but we're getting there. I think this whole thing is going to take awhile to sink in and process. And Sophie--as usual, she's one step ahead of her mama and dada, full of smiles and positivity...ready to take on a new day.
(one last photo from our hospital stay...not from last night...poor little bunny)

No comments: