Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Hospital


Well, there is unfortunately lots to write today. We just got home from a three day stay at the hospital.




On Monday morning Sophie was much worse. Instead of nursing she was biting me (I thought she was being cheeky, but in fact, we learned she was too weak to suck), her breathing was laboured, her diapers were getting very dry, and she was not herself.

We drove to emergency, where there was thankfully no line-up. We were seen right away, and were shocked that the doctors thought Sophie may have pneumonia. (In the end, they didn't diagnose her with pneumonia, but with two ear infections, a bacterial head cold, and a viral chest infection) They took an x-ray of her lungs- they put Soph in a really traumatic plastic holder where she couldn't move. She was our brave lionheart as she silently looked at me with huge frightened eyes. She had several ventolin masks (lasting about 3-5 mins each), which she again, was so brave about, and they put in an IV to hydrate her (she was quite dehydrated). After 6 hours in emergency, we were admitted to our local neighbourhood hospital. We were really shocked to be admitted, but obviously wanted Sophie to be better.

We spent two nights at the hospital, where we were so thankful to slowly watch Sophie come back to being the baby we all know and love. Gradually, as the IV with antibiotics got into her system, and some more ventolin masks, she started eating, smiling, wiggling, nursing and babbling. Here's a picture of Soph getting a special 'lion' toy because she was such a brave girl at the hospital.

We have all felt every emotion under the sun the past three days. It was obviously a very scary experience for all of us. I was admittedly a total wreck on numerous occasions. Being incredibly sleep deprived certainly didn't help matters. We are all pretty tender right now, but also pretty darn happy. I'd say we turned the corner yesterday, when Sophie's IV came out and she was able to crawl around--all of our moods really picked up. She was playing and eating, and frankly seemed better than she had for weeks. She also slept so well the past two nights. The poor dolly was in so much pain and discomfort that's why she wasn't sleeping. (enter incredible amounts of guilt...but I'm not even going to go there right now). Anyway, the past two days she slept harder than I have ever seen.

This last photo was taken today at home, after her bath where we washed all the yucky hospital germies down the drain. As you can see, her eyes have their usual sparkle back. I feel so thankful today. So very thankful.

3 comments:

Melody said...

I'm just so glad to see Sophie smiling again!! She is SO brave. Please don't entertain those feelings of guilt anymore. You are a wonderful mother....and Sophie is doing great. We wish we could have visited you in the hospital. :( Belle-Belle is very sad and crabby with a tooth coming in. She bit my leg today. And then she laughed because I yelped so hard! Then she did it again!!!

Anonymous said...

wow what a week you had! i am glad she is home with you now and feeling better!!!

I love you so much and can't wait to see you again

Colleen said...

Don't go blaming yourself at all. It's so hard to know what they are feeling and thinking. You're a great Mommy and you should never doubt that. I'm so glad she's feeling better. I'm tearing up so I can't imagine what you've been through. Take care of yourself too.