Friday, March 09, 2007

More Fun in the Nation's Capital


Another great Ottawa day. Sophie woke up at 6:15 this morning!! The exclamation marks are because it's a GOOD THING! Life has changed in the past 16 months, that's for sure.

Today we took a trip downtown for Sophie to have a playdate to meet our newest friend Lia. (You may remember reading posts about my childhood friend Melody and her baby Isabelle). Lia is Isabelle's new cousin. She is not only a beautiful specimen of a human, but I predict she's going to be a real mover and shaker. And she was really chatty too. Sophie and Lia had a great time snacking and then playing together. My personal favourite moment was when they were both in their feeding chairs smacking their lips back and forth (in a conversational manner!) like fishies. (Mel--we watched..(and I got a copy!) of Isabelle's birthday video---it was beautiful. Choked me up so much to see her so small again.) Sophie and Lia were dancing to Chinese folk songs, and I couldn't get over how much Sophie was loving them. There was lots of dancing going on. When we were leaving Shawn (Lia's dad) was holding Sophie and Lia was not too thrilled with the idea. She didn't want to share her dada!! Too sweet.
(I borrowed a photo from Ali and Shawn's blog!! Hope that's okay :))

Later this afternoon I had special time with my nephew Jake. He could choose whatever he wanted. He chose to go through the drive through at Tim Horton's for donuts, then go to play dino-checkers and hot chocolate at Starbucks/Chapters. We had a great time together. We came back and Jake and Sophie had a bath together.

It has been absolutely wonderful spending this time with my sister and her family. We usually see them when they're on the road, so it's really special to see them in their own home and with their own routines. I feel like I've really gotten a sense of their world right now. My sister has bent over backwards to give me the most incredible visit. Her kids have given Sophie so much love and attention. I feel so incredibly lucky to have such an amazing family.

Soph and I are heading back to Montreal tomorrow unless there is bad weather. So I will be back in techno-void for awhile. Ta-Ta for now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen, I feel a lot of warm fuzzies right now after reading your blog about your visit with Lia and seeing the photos of your visit that Ali posted on Flicker. It is so wonderful that these childhood connections are continuing to flourish! One of these days I hope to meet Sophie in the flesh! I read your blog every day and feel like I know Sopie even though I haven't met her in person yet or spent time with her. Thanks for sharing your life so openly.
Mrs.G

Melody said...

Great post, Bear! (sniff, sniff) I'm happy and sad all at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Glad you found the photo--isn't it beautiful? I love your grin. Thank you SO much for taking the time to come and visit us. It was really special to see Lia and Sophie hanging out together, and to share our joy with you!