Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A Breath of Fresh Air

We have a wonderful celebration to share--- as of last week, Sophie is no longer taking ANY puffers. That's right, none. Zip, natta, zero. And she's great.
Since last January Sophie has been taking four puffs of a steroid puffer each day. Our doctor suggested her using it until flu season was done (at the end of Feb). But then we were going to be in Montreal for the month of March, and didn't want to take her off the puffers while we were a) away from home and our doctor and b) in a home where a dog lived. Then in April we tried taking her off and she ended up getting sick right away. We weren't sure if it was a coincidence or not, but we left it for a bit. We tried again and the same thing happened.
So in July we decided to try a different tactic--to remove her extremely slowly from the steroid. We spend three weeks on three puffs a day (down from the four), then two weeks on two, then another week or two on one, and now for the past week we've been on NONE!
I am obviously thrilled, but I'm still not holding my breath that this will be a long term situation. When flu season starts up in a few months we may have to start again.
But for now, I mustn't think that way---for all I know this may in fact be permanent. Right now I am CELEBRATING that Sophie is med free and breathing well!! Wahoooooooooooooooooooooo!!

No comments: