Wednesday, September 19, 2007

23 Weeks!


Today we had a midwife appointment. I have been looking forward to it for the past couple of weeks. Our midwife, Chris, is wonderful. She has such a warm, kind and trustworthy personality. I am so thankful that we are able to have her as our midwife.
The three of us all went to the appointment, and Sophie played with the toy box of toys on the floor. It was an hour and a bit appointment, so at moments it was 'challenging' to keep her occupied.
We talked a lot about my birth with Sophie. I find it difficult to talk about it, and whenever I start thinking about it, I find I get a knot in my stomach and feel my body starting to tighten up. I still feel like there is a lot of 'stuff' that needs to be dealt with before January 14th. She encouraged me to do some writing about it over the next few months. She was also interested in hearing Brett's perspective of the birth experience, and that really impressed me.
Chris talked about how we are excellent candidates for a VBAC, as my difficulties in labour were due to an extremely unusual baby position, which is highly unlikely to repeat itself. That was nice to hear.
She listened for the heartbeat using a fetal stethescope, and heard it right away. I have to admit that I was disappointed that she doesn't use a doppler, because I have yet to hear the heartbeat. I try to hear it, but haven't been able to. Luckily I have been feeling lots of wiggles and kicks, so I can't complain.
Chris gave us some 'homework' for the month--for me to do some writing about the birth, and for Brett and I to talk about some decisions regarding a birth plan.
After much agonizing with the due date wheel, my due date has officially been changed to January 14th.
I must say that so far with this pregnancy all of my appointments have focused on the birth. I know that we had a c-section, and that there are more complicated things to prepare for this time around, but I still want to enjoy this pregnancy. It is so much more than a birth. I know that the birth is an extremely important part, but I just want to revel in the regular old pregnancy things. Maybe that's because talking about the birth stirs up some anxiety, that I'd rather not focus entirely on it.
All through the appointment Sophie kept saying "listenin' to the baby" because we told her that we were going to listen for the baby's heartbeat. This is going to be such an exciting new chapter for her too!

(I am going to add our ultrasound pictures to this post--my friend is scanning and e-mailing them to me tonight!)

2 comments:

Melody said...

Great post, Bear! Isabelle has begun the nightly ritual of sharing her pacifier with "baby" (i.e. shoving it into my belly button). Yikes....what do you think they are really thinking?

Anonymous said...

I have not been here for many months so I'm very late to say congrats!!! Hope all will go well!
I'm 34 weeks and trying to make it to full term. I have been put on bedrest (who does that with a three year old???) anyway, the end is near and I can't wrap my brain around having another in the mix and a girl!! Take Care!!
karen