Well, we survived Brett's first day at work. We all got up and out the door for 8:15 where we dropped Brett off at rehearsal for 8:30. Picking him up at 6:30 seemed like a very long time in teh future.
We ventured to the awesome playground that I walked by years earlier (pre-kids) and it was pretty great. It is on a sandy beach, so the kids can play and then swim. Pretty beautiful. Being at the park was a little bit challenging--as the kids both want to go opposite directions, Clara's not totally 'park savvy' yet, and there were a few sketchy looking people there. I've been spoiled going to parks having Riley with me most days, so I don't have to worry about trying to lasso the kids together constantly.
We then headed to the beach (20 feet away!!). The lake was mighty chilly, and it was yet another overcast day. Sophie still was determined to swim, so we got her suited up and she tooted around. Clara played in the sand and just put her toes in.
We headed home for a grilled cheese lunch that ended up with lots of sand in our room, lots of crying, some less than perfect parenting moments, and then happily, two kids flopped in bed.
A nap helped to recharge us all (phew), and when the girls woke up they played happily in the 'play room' while I made an early dinner.
After dinner we went to pick up Brett at rehearsal, met a few of the designers and tech crew and then headed back to the park for a play. Sophie decided she wanted to swim again, so she stripped down and had a skinny dip. I ended up getting pretty darn wet as I couldn't resist going in with my girl, while Brett and Clara explored the park some more. It was definitely the highlight of the day for me.
Came back to the 'like a' hotel room and showered the kids (there is no bathtub, which has been interesting) and put them to bed. Brett and I had a chance to chat, hear about his first day at work, and get caught up. At this point my sister Kathy texted me to tell me she was coming on her own to visit us Tues till Thursday. (She had been privy to a bit of a venting/tearful phone call post the bad parenting moments before the explosive naptime). I spent an hour telling her that after I vented I was better, that I'm excited about being here, that the rest of our day had been great BUT in true "enter my surname here" form she would hear none of it. So she's coming today. Excited yet feeling guilty for her to make such a big effort.
Day two has begun, and is now I'm needed....
We ventured to the awesome playground that I walked by years earlier (pre-kids) and it was pretty great. It is on a sandy beach, so the kids can play and then swim. Pretty beautiful. Being at the park was a little bit challenging--as the kids both want to go opposite directions, Clara's not totally 'park savvy' yet, and there were a few sketchy looking people there. I've been spoiled going to parks having Riley with me most days, so I don't have to worry about trying to lasso the kids together constantly.
We then headed to the beach (20 feet away!!). The lake was mighty chilly, and it was yet another overcast day. Sophie still was determined to swim, so we got her suited up and she tooted around. Clara played in the sand and just put her toes in.
We headed home for a grilled cheese lunch that ended up with lots of sand in our room, lots of crying, some less than perfect parenting moments, and then happily, two kids flopped in bed.
A nap helped to recharge us all (phew), and when the girls woke up they played happily in the 'play room' while I made an early dinner.
After dinner we went to pick up Brett at rehearsal, met a few of the designers and tech crew and then headed back to the park for a play. Sophie decided she wanted to swim again, so she stripped down and had a skinny dip. I ended up getting pretty darn wet as I couldn't resist going in with my girl, while Brett and Clara explored the park some more. It was definitely the highlight of the day for me.
Came back to the 'like a' hotel room and showered the kids (there is no bathtub, which has been interesting) and put them to bed. Brett and I had a chance to chat, hear about his first day at work, and get caught up. At this point my sister Kathy texted me to tell me she was coming on her own to visit us Tues till Thursday. (She had been privy to a bit of a venting/tearful phone call post the bad parenting moments before the explosive naptime). I spent an hour telling her that after I vented I was better, that I'm excited about being here, that the rest of our day had been great BUT in true "enter my surname here" form she would hear none of it. So she's coming today. Excited yet feeling guilty for her to make such a big effort.
Day two has begun, and is now I'm needed....
No comments:
Post a Comment