Sophie did it! She had her first day of kindergarten and she did it SOOOO well!! She walked right into that class after easily (and almost flippantly) saying 'bye Mama'. I asked for a hug but she was gone and didn't even hear me.
Wow. I wasn't expecting that. It was a wonderful surprise, yet I found myself feeling a little teary looking at my independent girl walking around exploring her classroom with big eyes. All the other parents were in the class, but I didn't want to go in in case she realized and then changed her mind about me leaving. But I quietly looked in and saw her happily reading a book on the carpet.
So we left. As I was leaving I saw a friend who was arriving to drop her kid off and she said "Wow-you're leaving so soon??" I was actually as surprised as she was. I left in kind of a stupor, of being so incredibly relieved that she was happy, and also missing my 32 pound companion. Feeling like we were entering a new chapter. Releasing her to the world--yikes.
Walking home I found myself feeling like a mom. In a whole new way. Walking home meeting new mom's who were also walking home. Bumping into other friends of ours who were on their way home from drop off. Stopping to chat and share summer stories. Then being able to walk back. After a year of car drop-offs it feels so lovely to have that connection with our neighbourhood. To be able to spend a whole day without getting into the car.
When we picked her up Sophie was brimming with excitement. Clara and I were early and Clara had a great time climbing up the playground (that kid is hilarious--she has no fear!!) Clara was thrilled to see Sophie, and Sophie gave us each a big hug. She told us all about her special bag in her backpack that was full of books and notes. She was on cloud nine. She told me her teacher told them to sit on their bottoms and then she said 'criss cross applesauce'. She said that during circle time she was finishing her snack and everyone was looking at her and it was really really funny. I asked if she had ever felt a little sad at any time during the morning- n.o. Only happy Mama. Fantastic.
This afternoon I found her fast asleep on the couch with her new favourite dolls. New things are tiring. Even good new things are tiring.
It was a great day.
1 comment:
Yay! So happy to hear her first day went well for both of you. Hard to believe the time is finally here.
Post a Comment